Saturday, November 26, 2011

College Major

I can’t believe how much people talk about picking a major.  I thought it was just my parents who were so interested in majors.  But since I have been at TLU I hear a lot about it here too.  Before I came to college my parents talked to me about what I wanted to do with my life and what I wanted to concentrate on in college.  I had no idea what to tell them.  My whole life has pretty much revolved around sports and that is about all I thought about.  I started playing sports when I was only six years old and it has been years of baseball, basketball and football since then.  Until I had my accident I think everyone just assumed that I would be a professional athlete.  I don’t think I thought about it as much as my parents.  So much of our family life has been going to games and tournaments and traveling to events and tournaments that I guess I never gave much thought to anything after sports.  Now that I am at college I am forced to think about it often.  Everyone says don’t worry about picking a major until you have spent some time in college and have a better idea of what classes are like and what is involved.  But before I even came here my parents talked to me about it and at the time the best option seemed to be Business.  I guess it is because if I couldn’t decide on my own what I wanted to do I suppose they thought I could follow in my dad’s footsteps and do something in sales or marketing and so Business seemed logical.  But because of all my time spent in sports and fitness I am thinking that Kinesiology is better for me.  I have heard some guys talk about it too and I think I have more interest in that than in Business.  I am already taking one class in Kinesiology and I like it so far.  The problem is that my folks said they are not sure what kind of job you get with a Kinesiology major but I am sure I can figure it out.  And since everyone has told me not to even worry about what to pick unless you have wanted to be something all your life like a doctor or lawyer or something I guess I can always just change it again.  I keep thinking about my older brother who almost his whole life he wanted to be an attorney and in middle school and high school he was really into debate and stuff and so ended up going to law school and now he isn’t a lawyer and doesn’t even want to be.  It proves that it probably isn’t a big deal to try to make up your mind too soon because even if you always knew what you wanted to be you may still change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment