Saturday, November 26, 2011

Small Town Life

           I am really starting to realize how different it is to live in a small town.  I was born in Houston and have lived in Kingwood for most of my life.  Living in Kingwood which is a community in the suburb of Houston is very different from living in Seguin.  My high school was as big as TLU.  When you live in a large town you pretty much have access to whatever you want whenever you want it.  Any show or concert or movie you want to see you are able to see.  Most any restaurant you want is within driving distance.
My mom tried to explain to me what it would be like to live in a small town.  She was born in Seguin so she should know.  Even though her family moved to Houston when she was a little girl she still has a lot of relatives that live here and so she would visit pretty often.  Her grandmother, my great-grandmother still lives on a farm in New Berlin a few miles from here.  We used to go to visit some time and when I was younger it was a lot of fun to go to the farm.  It was so different from home so it was interesting to go.  My mom told me stories about when she was a little girl every summer her and her brothers and sisters would go to spend a week or two with her grandparents on the farm. She said they did things like go fishing or play bingo which seems boring to me.  She said every year they would go to a 4th of July parade.  That is really different than the things I grew up doing in Kingwood.  I haven’t really learned too much about Seguin yet but I am starting to learn my way around better.  I guess the good thing is that I am lucky to have a lot of friends who go to schools around here like in Austin and San Marcos so on weekends sometimes I go to meet up with them and hang out there.  Austin is not as big as Houston but there are still a lot more things to do and see there.  My older brother graduated from the University of Texas so he knows all about Austin and he loves it.  I guess Austin would be considered somewhere between Seguin and Houston in size.  I think that by the time I graduate I will know all about Seguin and living in a small town.  The good thing is that I still get all the benefits of a big city every time I go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment