Saturday, November 26, 2011

Responsibility

       I think I am starting to get more adjusted to being on my own.  I know that part of being away from home means being responsible and learning to take care of things for yourself.  My parents always made a big deal about how I was the least responsible kid in my family.  They said it was because I am the youngest and so I always had someone else to take care of things for me.  Now that I am away at school I am learning that maybe I had it easier at home than I thought.  I had never had to do laundry when I lived at home and my mom explained to me what to do before I left but it was still a new experience.  At first I just waited and took my dirty clothes with me when I went back home but because of my schedule I didn’t  get to go home as much as I thought so I was forced to do it myself.  I’m pretty sure my mom is shocked that I am actually functioning on my own or at least trying to.  But doing laundry is only the start of learning to be on your own.  You have to keep track of everything that needs to be taken care of and remember what needs to be done when.  I know that I need to find a better way to remember stuff or a way to keep track of everything.  My roommate and I have a whiteboard calendar in our room but we haven’t used it yet.  I remember when we were moving in and all our family was there and they made a big deal about how we could make notes on it and keep track of our schedules by using different colored markers but we never did.  My mom also told me to use my phone to set reminders of things that need to be done and I know that I should probably be doing that.  I guess figuring all this out is part of learning to be on your own and be an adult.  There are so many things that you don’t even think about until you realize that if you don’t do it, no one will.  Like now my roommate and I go shopping on our own whenever we need stuff for our dorm room.  We are regular customers at Walmart. 
Now if only the magic cleaning fairies would come visit our dorm room.  That is my least favorite responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment